Historic District Review Board
The City of Beaufort Historic District Review Board (HRB) is a five-member Board. The members are appointed by City Council for three year terms. Each member may serve on two consecutive terms. The Historic Review Board is charged with the mission of aiding in the preservation, protection and enhancement of the Beaufort National Historic Landmark District.
The Board reviews the following types of activities within the District:
- New construction and additions
The Historic District is divided into two sub-districts:
- Conservation Neighborhood (also known as the Northwest Quadrant)
- Preservation Neighborhood
The Northwest Quadrant Design Principles provides guidance for projects in the Conservation Neighborhood (Northwest Quadrant).
For projects located in the Preservation Neighborhood, guidance for the Board's decisions is provided by the Beaufort Preservation Manual and the Beaufort Preservation Manual Supplement.
Copies of the 1979 Milner Historic District Inventory, 1997 Beaufort County Above Ground Historic Resources Survey and Sandborn Fire Insurance Company Maps are available in the Community & Economic Development Department.
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
- 2 p.m.
- 2nd Wednesday of each month
- City Hall
1911 Boundary Streeet
Beaufort, SC 29902
- John Dickerson (Vice-Chairman)
- Bill Allison
- Katherine Pringle
- Vacancy, Design Professional
- Vacancy, Historic District Review Board
If you have any special needs due to a physical challenge, please contact the Department of Planning & Development Services at 843-525-7011.
2019 Meetings - Revised 7/8/19
Only digital submittal of all documents is accepted now. You may also view the meeting schedule in document form.
|Meeting Schedule||Deadline for Regular Projects|
|Wednesday, January 9, 2019||Friday, December 28, 2018|
|Wednesday, February 13, 2019||Friday, February 1, 2019|
|Wednesday, March 13, 2019||Friday, March 1, 2019|
|Tuesday, April 10, 2019||Friday, March 29, 2019|
|Wednesday, May 8, 2019||Friday, April 26, 2019|
|Wednesday, June 12, 2019||Friday, May 31, 2019|
|Wednesday, July 10, 2019||Friday, June 28, 2019|
|Wednesday, August 14, 2019||Friday, August 2, 2019|
|Wednesday, September 11, 2019||Friday, August 16, 2019|
|Wednesday, October 9, 2019||Friday, September 13, 2019|
|Wednesday, November 13, 2019||Friday, October 18, 2019|
|Wednesday, December 11, 2019||Friday, November 15, 2019|
- All documents are required to be submitted to the City of Beaufort Department of Planning and Development Services at:
1911 Boundary Street
Beaufort, SC 29902
- All documents must be submitted in a complete digital package by the deadline date
- Fee for demolition are due at the time of the applicant submittal.
- IMPORTANT: A project will not be reviewed if the applicant or representative is not present at the meeting.