Hurricane Readiness

Hurricanes happen here!

The Atlantic hurricane season extends from June 1 through Nov. 30 every year. Since 1851, when official records began, through 2018, the National Weather Service's Charleston district, which includes Beaufort County, has experienced landfalls of 41 "tropical cyclones," which includes hurricanes, tropical storms and tropical depressions. See more about the history of tropical cyclones here. Most of these landings occurred in August and September.

Don't shrug the threat of hurricanes off. It's imperatives that residents and businesses in the City of Beaufort prepare for hurricanes every year.

South Carolina hurricane resources

The State of South Carolina now has a website devoted to hurricane preparedness with information specific to the state. Find it here.

Hurricane season 2021

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Climate Prediction Center has predicted another above-normal Atlantic hurricane season in 2021. Forecasters predict a 60% chance of an above-normal season, a 30% chance of a near-normal season, and a 10% chance of a below-normal season. But experts do not anticipate the historic level of storm activity seen in 2020.

Read more here

INFOGRAPHIC-040921-Hurricane-Averages-NOAA-Landscape-Native