- Community Development
- Historic District
Beaufort is the second oldest town in South Carolina, originally established in 1711 on Port Royal Island, one of 65 islands comprising Beaufort County. In 1969, the 304-acre area comprising the original town was listed in the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) in 1969 and in 1973, the district was designated a National Historic Landmark (NHL). In 2001, the district's period of significance was extended to 1950.
The following require a certificate of appropriateness in the Historic District:
- New construction
- Site Work
View Section 9.10 of The Beaufort Code for more information.
The Historic District Review Board (HRB) has jurisdiction over the majority of projects within the Historic District. As per the Beaufort Code, Section 10.7, they are guided by:
View historic district maps in the following:
- District Boundaries Map
- Contributing Structures (from the 2008 Historic Preservation Plan)
- Contributing Structure Clusters (from the 2008 Historic Preservation Plan)
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps
- Interactive GIS Map of Historical Information for Beaufort County
- National Historic District Landmark Nomination - 1969 and 2001 Combined