The City of Beaufort Building Codes Department is here to assist owners and development professionals through the permitting and construction process for projects of all sizes, from fences and signs to new buildings.
The State of South Carolina has adopted the following codes effective January 1, 2020:
- 2018 International Residential Code
- 2018 International Building Code
- 2018 International Fire Code
- 2018 International Plumbing Code
- 2018 International Mechanical Code
- 2018 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2009 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2017 National Electrical Code
Permit Information & Forms
Permits are required for most work within the City of Beaufort. Visit the Forms page for complete details and application forms.
Quick Project-Related Information
- Tree Protection, Silt Fencing, and Construction Driveway Requirements - click here
- This is required for all new construction, including additions
- Noise Ordinance
- Sign Information
- Carbon Monoxide Alarm Information
- Required for new single family construction
- Incentive Programs
- The city offers incentives for a number of project types, including Vacant and Abandoned structures and structures within the Historic District.
- View a complete list and comprehensive information on these programs. A list of Vacant and Abandoned structures may also be found on the Documents and Plans page.
- Window coverings during renovations
- The windows/doors may not be completely covered. A 3 feet by 3 feet minimum opening is required.
- Construction-Related Licensing in South Carolina