Health & Benefits Information
The City of Beaufort offers a comprehensive benefits package designed to provide a variety of choices to best fit the needs of our employees and their families.
An employee's deduction for medical and dental premiums, flexible spending accounts, deferred compensation and the City's retirement plans are all taken on a pre-tax basis. This means that before federal, state, and Social Security taxes are calculated and deducted from an employees' pay, these deductions are used/taken to reduce the gross pay and thereby reduce taxes.
- insurance Options
- Leave & Holiday Benefits
- Retirement Benefits
- Awards & Recognition
- Other Benefits & Opportunities
For a detailed description of all the benefits offered to full-time employees, including:
- Dental Insurance Through Delta Dental
- Medical Insurance Administered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina - PPO Plan and HDHP Plan
- Vision Insurance through Physicians Eyecare Plan
- And more
Transparency in Coverage | BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina (southcarolinablues.com) This link leads to the machine readable files that are made available in response to the federal Transparency in Coverage Rule and includes negotiated service rates and out-of-network allowed amounts between health plans and healthcare providers. The machine-readable files are formatted to allow researchers, regulators, and application developers to more easily access and analyze data.
Please refer to the
- Annual and Sick Leave is earned/accrued biweekly by all regular, full-time and permanent part-time employees as a percentage of normal work hours.
- Bereavement Leave is provided to all regular, full-time employees in the case of death of an immediate family member.
The City of Beaufort offers 12 paid holidays:
- New Year's Day
- Martin Luther King Day
- Good Friday
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Veterans Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Day After Thanksgiving
- Christmas Holiday
- Day after Christmas Holiday
- Additional Christmas Holiday
The City of Beaufort offers our employees a few different options to help plan for the future. To learn more about these options, please follow the links below.
- The South Carolina Retirement System (SCRS) is the option that most city employees will participate in.
- The Police Officer Retirement System (PORS) is a retirement program that is specific to South Carolina police officers and qualifying fire personal.
- Employees may also choose to set up an ICMA-RA (401(k), 457, and IRA Roth plans) while participating in this benefit is not required; it is available to all city employees.
To further recognize those employees who have set examples of performance worthy of emulation by others, the City has established the Employee Recognition Program. A recognition program is to acknowledge employees' contributions to the overall objectives and effective operation of the City of Beaufort will promote good employee relations, improve morale and increase productivity.
The City's recognition program is to recognize employees across the board, who demonstrate high quality or above and beyond performances.
A committee made up of staff from each department decides how awards will be given.
Employee Assistance Program
The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) was designed to help employees and their families who are currently facing difficult times. The EAP provides a licensed master’s level professional that you can speak with 24 hours a day, seven days a week. They can assist employees in many different areas, including but are not limited to:
- Emotional Well-Being
- Family and Relationships
- Legal and Financial
- Healthy Life Styles
- Work and Life Transitions
My Health tool kit
My health tool kit is a comprehensive web portal for everything you need to know about your Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina health coverage. To access this portal, please visit the My Health tool kit login page.
For more information, including step-by-step instructions on how to register, please go to the My Health Tool Kit Guide.
- One of the many benefits included with My Health Tool Kit is the ability to have a Health Incentive Account. The Health Incentive Account allows employees and their spouses to earn deductible credits. To learn more about this program, please see the HIA Flyer.
Fitness Center Memberships
The City of Beaufort is an equal opportunity employer. Information contained in this summary should in no way be construed as a promise or guarantee of employment. The City reserves the right to modify, amend, suspend, or terminate any plan at any time for any reason. If there is a conflict between information in this site and actual plan documents or policies, the documents or policies always govern.
Complete details about these benefits can be obtained by reviewing current plan description or policies available from the Human Resources Department.