Jan. 15, 2021
Ladies and Gentlemen:
Please see the map that details the Dominion Energy tree trimming project from Jan. 19-22.
Dominion Energy is currently pruning trees within the City to reduce the potential for service interruptions, particularly during severe storms. Branches that interfere with power lines must be pruned to avoid service interruptions. The City of Beaufort realizes that trimming trees is necessary to ensure safety. That said, the City of Beaufort and Dominion Energy are working together to make sure that trees are pruned in a responsible manner that will maintain the health of the trees while preserving the appearance of the tree canopy that all of us have come to deeply appreciate.
Just recently, the City of Beaufort enlisted the assistance of a local arborist who has teamed up with the Dominion Energy arborist. These two arborists are in constant consultation as they lend their expertise to the Dominion contractor who has been commissioned to perform the pruning services. The City of Beaufort and Dominion Energy are confident that this very solid working relationship will prevent service interruptions while respecting the physical and structural health of each tree.
The following is the optimal schedule. However, this may change due to weather, progress, traffic conditions and crew availability:
- Monday: No work scheduled due to Martin Luther King holiday.
- Tuesday: Bay Street between Ribaut Road and downtown; North Street between Ribaut and Scott Street.
- Wednesday: New Castle between Bay Street and North Street; Charles Street between Duke and Congress.
- Thursday: Ribaut Road for restorative work; Prince Street between Ribaut Road and Bladen.
- Friday: Harrington between Bay Street and King Street; Wilmington between Bay Street and King Street.
- Contingent on the progress of the work and weather conditions next week, crews will move to The Point neighborhood to begin pruning trees during the week of Jan. 25.
Safety is the No. 1 concern for both the City of Beaufort and Dominion Energy. Please allot extra time when transiting through these areas. Please watch out for tree trimmers who are focused on trimming trees, and not necessarily on the road. Also remember that if you cannot see heavy machinery operators, they cannot see you.
Both the City of Beaufort and Dominion Energy have provided project leads to address questions, comments, or concerns. Will Epting is representing Dominion Energy and can be reached at William.firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-251-7234. Neal Pugliese is representing the City of Beaufort and can be reached at email@example.com or 843-470-3512 anytime.
Please encourage all those affected or interested in the Dominion Energy tree trimming effort to register with the “Notify Me” application found on the City of Beaufort website (https://www.cityofbeaufort.org/list.aspx) and subscribe to the Dominion tree-pruning updates which will be delivered directly via text or email.
Neal Pugliese, Col USMC (Ret)
Mossy Oaks Multijurisdictional Drainage Task Force